The initiative ‘Master Corner’, was launched by de AEdG (Spanish association of greenkeepers) in February, and the first video that was released was “Construction methodology and bunker maintenance”, where nine industry professionals shared their vision, experience and tips on the construction and maintenance methods for these playing elements.
In this video, Luis Cornejo, Senior Agronomist at SURTEC, reviewed the most important aspects for selecting the right bunker sand. These key parameters are listed as follows, and they must be quantified and adequately evaluated to avoid problems such as bunkers becoming too wet, algae proliferation, low sand stability, fried egg, etc:
- Particle size distribution.
- Particle shape.
- Uniformity coefficient.
- Infiltration test.
- Penetrometer value.
- Angle of repose.
- Crusting & set up.
- Reaction to acid.
At the end of the video, Luis explains how to interpret the water retention curve in order to calculate the adequate depth of the sand layer, as well as to take precautions when installing liners, due to they can provoke water table problems in the sand.
The rest of the speakers in the video are:
- Ignacio Soto, head greenkeeper Finca Cortesín
- Rafael González-Carrascosa, head greenkeeper Real Club de Golf Las Brisas
- Adolfo Ramos, head greenkeeper Real Club Valderrama
- Juan Manuel Lopez-Bellido, head greenkeeper Real Sociedad Hípica Española Club de Campo
- Domingo Merino, Asociación Española de Normalización
- Luis Espinosa, codirector de Garden & Golf
- Francisco Cornejo, head greenkeeper Real Club Pineda
- Javier Gutiérrez, agronomy director Acttua Golf Services
- Javier Martínez, head greenkeeper Real Club de la Puerta de Hierro
You can access the full video in AEdG, or watch the intervention of Luis Cornejo in the following link:
Please note the video was filmed in Spanish, so do not hesitate to connect with us if you require further information regarding the selection of the right bunker sand.